Monday, September 18, 2006

Maybe it sounds a bit corny all that nostalgic stuff about my mountains in my last post. But today I was looking through last summer pictures Menno needed for his website on my next cooking course in Abruzzo (he wanted personal, authentic stuff, and boy, he got it) and I was just noticing how much happier Cinzia and I look there. Of course it was Summer. Of course, we were on holiday (and take my word for it, mothers' holidays are great, but not relaxing. Every year we go back home in Amsterdam just craving for a full schoolday of personal freedom to do our own things. To get some bits of these magic moments known only to mothers. When you are A-L-O-N-E. Just you and whatever you are doing that moment: cooking, working, cleaning, reading, ironing, brushing you teeth without that multi-tasking stress).

If I really want to be honest now, I should add that the part about enjoying a beautiful day at Campo Imperatore could be read on our husbands' faces as well (fathers too, poor things, need some rest, but hey, they can abstract what they do from the continuous thought about their children. I actually miss them when they are at school). But in our mom's pictures there is that little extra: we belong to this place, we changed many homes in our lives, but this is ours. Truly ours, to share with our beloved one. (Please, check if it is really like this or if I am making this up). That dreamy, relaxed, looks like we just got a Botox, but not, it's just sheer joy.

Ok I got it, I know what it was: it's just that we had left the smaller boy of two with Grandma home, and we have the certainty that whatever our big boys are going to figure out, they can never walk too far away without us loosing sight of them. Because as far as you watch around, it is just prairie, sheep and grass. We don't need to chase them, to warn them, to bother them as only Italian mother do: the place takes care of them. We just sit down and enjoy it.

Next year we are going to camp in the small canyon Cinzia knows. Never knew there is one there, but she is a geologist, that makes the trick. With all the kids and the dogs. Just like we did with my dad when we were real small. Back then, we would get out of our tent in the morning, and all around there were sheep. Their dogs attracted from our dogs, and the shepherd looking for company and a chat. I can miss the shepherd, though. Nowadays we have more chance of a ranger reminding us we did something illegal. This is the problem when the free range of your childhood turns into an official National Park.

No comments: